The Illiana communities have been committed to the principle of Christian education for over 100 years. By 1911 Christian elementary schools were established in Highland, Lansing, Munster, and South Holland, and more recently, Crown Point.
Prior to 1945 few people went on to secondary education. Illiana’s founders were challenged by the idea of Christian secondary education and how to make it available for their children. There were a few in our communities to whom Christian high school training meant so much that they secured boarding places in Chicago for their children in order that they might attend the Chicago Christian High School. As emphasis on secondary education grew, so did interest in Christian secondary education. Parents began to unite to provide transportation. Also, Highland Christian School added a ninth grade to their curriculum in 1936, and a tenth grade in 1940.
Gradually as the number of pupils attending high schools increased, it was felt that too few were making use of the opportunity to attend the Chicago Christian High School. The inconveniences, loss of time traveling and overcrowded conditions at the Chicago Christian High School were some of the factors which lead to the crystallization of the Illiana Christian High School movement.